Used widely around the globe, CBD oil has shown to be an effective aid for helping treat many conditions, and CBD oil is commonly used as a wellbeing and cosmetic product, as well as a sports recovery tool. Its applications are diverse and as research develops people are becoming more aware of the beneficial properties that CBD oil might offer.Some stigma remains about the nature of cannabis products but CBD oil is in fact legal in the UK, most of the US, Canada, and many other countries, with THC free variants widely available. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) “CBD is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile” and ”not associated with abuse potential”. At ICE Headshop we stock an incredible range of high quality CBD oils from leading brands in flavours and strengths to suit all users. Here we look at some of the key benefits and uses of CBD oil and how you can incorporate this type of CBD into your own lifestyle.
1. It’s easy to take at a variety of strengthsCBD oil (as well as most other CBD product lines) is available in a range of strengths, making it easier to find an oil to best suit your individual needs. Taking CBD oil is as simple as putting a few drops under your tongue or putting a few drops in a drink or food. It is recommended to read the specific product guidelines as applications can vary. A standard starting dose would be 2-3 drops of oil and then to top up until your desired effects are achieved, keeping within the maximum dosage from the manufacturer. CBD oil bottles generally come as 30ml (that's 1oz), and a low strength starter bottle could be around 100mg of CBD in a 30ml bottle. A high strength bottle could contain a whopping 5000 mg in a 30ml bottle! What this means is that you can tailor your dosage to your individual requirements to achieve better benefits. This further removes the need to repeatedly dose, rather you can achieve your necessary demands in one go. As individuals have their own unique biochemistry, it is advised to start with a low dose and top up until the desired effects are reached. This is to see how CBD works for you, it helps to optimise dosages and ensures that the CBD taken isn’t going to waste.
2. It can relieve pain and inflammationThe active compound CBD has long been used by sufferers of chronic pain conditions and other painful conditions and is said to provide substantial relief yet currently has no medical trials to allow it to be sold as such in the UK. Ailments that CBD is commonly used to provide relief from include:
- Arthritis and other joint pains
- Neuropathic pain - pain caused by damage to the nervous system
- Back pain and other chronic pain conditions
How does CBD help to relieve these types of pains?CBD interacts with a system found in our body called ‘the endocannabinoid system’. The endocannabinoid system plays a role in regulating our physiological and cognitive functions and encompasses things like (but not limited to) appetite, mood, immunity, pain sensation and memory. CBD is found to interact with our two known cannabinoid receptors called CB1 and CB2. These receptors are found throughout our body in our central and peripheral nervous systems, when CBD interacts with these receptors it may promote, influence and moderate key functions that are responsible for reduction in inflammation and pain sensations.
3. It can help with acneResearch suggests that when CBD stimulates the skin pores and hair follicles via our endocannabinoid system it can help reduce overproduction of a waxy, oily substance that our skin produces called sebum. Although sebum is produced to help protect us from the outside world, overproduction can lead to clogged pores and in turn, skin conditions like acne. CBD not only helps reduce the overproduction of sebum but is shown to give relief as it does for other painful conditions. Things like anti-inflammatory properties and pain relief can reduce redness, soreness and discomfort. Furthermore CBD oil has been shown to reduce additional symptoms of acne like stress and anxiety associated with how acne can make us feel due to its appearance. Find out more in our blog on CBD and acne.
4. It reportedly reduces stress and anxietyMost people will experience symptoms of stress or anxiety at some point and this is not unusual. The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates the number of people suffering anxiety is upwards of 300 million. Anxiety can come about as a result of stress and during the current coronavirus pandemic, many sanctions and restrictions imposed upon us have caused widespread disruption to work, home life and social lives, resulting in stress related problems. Stress is a natural defense mechanism to help humans react to a threat or demand. When exposed to stressful or demanding situations the after effects can last a long time and lead to worries, anxiety and even things like lack of sleep. CBD has been shown to be beneficial for stress conditions and disorders, like, insomnia, anxiety and PTSD, and can help to increase a person’s appetite, aid with sleep, and provide a feeling of relaxation. It is believed that because of CBD’s interaction with our endocannabinoid system it may help to regulate the production of serotonin, the chemical responsible for mood regulation, feelings of well being and happiness.. To read more about CBD and stress, check out our blog on CBD, stress and self isolation.
5. It’s available in a wide range of flavoursLike many other supplements, CBD is available in a variety of flavours. Some CBD oils contain flavonoids and terpenes that come from within the cannabis plant and these can offer flavours of citrus, earthy notes and even light perfume or floral notes that have proven popular. In fact, the possibilities of flavour are almost endless. There are also products with no flavour for those who prefer flavourless, perhaps to simply add CBD to an existing favourite vape oil, and products with added flavours or ingredients like turmeric, grapefruit, lemon and lime, and even melon! Truly there is something to satisfy everyone’s taste buds and preferences. For a better insight into the possibilities of CBD flavours take a look at our CBD edibles including gummies, cookies, teas and coffees.
6. It may improve sleep and insomnia symptomsWithout sleep we cannot perform to our full potential and it has been shown that a lack of sleep can be detrimental to other facets of daily life. It is reported that CBD oil (and other CBD products) can help compliment and improve a regular sleep routine, moreover it can be a helpful addition to any kind of lifestyle to help improve our stress levels and create an internal harmony. As we covered in benefit no.4, conditions like insomnia or bad sleep patterns can be attributed to stress conditions and anxiety. CBD can be used as a relaxation aid and as a way to wind down. After a long day at work, a troublesome day with the kids, or just a way to relax before bed, CBD oil can easily be taken under the tongue or in a drink as part of a bedtime routine. For further reading check our CBD for sleep and CBD oil for insomnia guide.
7. It’s fast actingCBD products vary massively, as can the time it takes in order for them to work. Both low strength and high strength products can work in almost no time at all, and some products can take a couple of hours. Generally CBD oils are considered to work quite fast. Let us take a look at a range of CBD products and how long it can take for them to work:
|Type of CBD product||Time until desired effects can be achieved|
|CBD oral oils||Oral oils can work from anywhere between 30 minutes, up to 2 hours. Oral oils that are not water soluble may take longer as they have to be metabolised. The metabolization process sometimes means some of the CBD oil is lost during digestion and absorption.|
|CBD edibles||Much like CBD oils, edibles are also swallowed so can take anywhere from 30 minutes, up to 2 hours. Again these have to be metabolised.|
|CBD vape products and e-liquids||CBD vaping is one of the fastest ways to get your CBD dose. It can take effect instantly and the variety of strength available is staggering. Perfect for experienced vapers or for somebody that requires substantial, fast relief.|
|CBD lotions, balms and ointments||This type of CBD product is applied directly to the affected area. They must be absorbed by the skin and this can take anywhere between an hour or two. A big plus with these products is that we can target areas of pain or discomfort directly.|
|CBD solids and flowers||CBD solids and flowers can be utilised in a number of ways. Some people prefer to make them into food or drink products while others like to smoke them. Inhalation of CBD products works very quickly and swallowing takes longer.|
Further considerationsNow that we have looked at some of the main benefits of CBD there are just a couple of things to bear in mind when you shop for the best CBD products for you. Be sure to not rush your decision and browse our CBD shop before choosing the right CBD to suit your individual needs. If you need any help don't hesitate to get in touch using our chat function on the website to speak with our team.
The importance of high quality CBD oilFollow these few simple steps to ensure that you are getting the best CBD possible.
- Check that the products you are choosing are 3rd party lab tested. This will ensure that the strength and purity of the product you are receiving is accurate and that what you are purchasing is within the law.
- Check the manufacturer or distributor. Is the product sustainable? Is the company well established?
- Does the CBD product specify how it is made? Due to the infancy of the CBD industry, only now are we seeing more regulation on how CBD products are manufactured. Companies using pharmaceutical grade ethanol are good - this process removes impurities and toxins.
- Good quality CBD manufacturers and distributors are transparent and provide adequate information regarding the products available. Don't be caught out by rogue traders. If you need more information about CBD it should be readily available to you. Don’t trust traders who fail to supply information or take a long time to respond.